Friday, May 3, 2013

Hyacinth Beans!

Our hyacinth beans was just "waking up" for the 2013 Spring, it was on a pot and we have two hyacinth beans in a pot. The one didn't survived the cold weather but this other one that was starting to grow leaves again was on where the chayote plant is. And the chayote are just also catching up for Spring, growing new leaves pretty fast. I already made the first part of the trellis for it and now had occupied the whole trellis.

BUT, there was a plant under its shades, a plant in a pot, and that is the hyacinth beans. This past years our hyacinth bean had been like this, but while I was visiting a close friend who also has planted a hyacinth bean in their backyard, it is continuously flowering and bearing pods.

" Do you still have your hyacinth beans?" I was asked. "No, it was just coming back to life for Spring. How come your was continuously flowering and has lots of pods!"It probably likes the soil in there, plus it was on the ground and not in a pot. 

And when I was offered some hyacinth beans to bring home, of course I gladly accepted it, fresh and nutritious. 



And just like what I was thinking, the hyacinth beans would be one of the ingredients of my mom's favorite Ilocano dish, pinakbet.




No comments: